Saturday 13 October 2012

Sourcing Products Fashion ModREn: How I’m Making It: Designer Misha Nonoo

Fashion ModREn
October 13, 2012 11:55 pm
Te subscribiste a estas notificaciones por mail para los posts de este blog.
Si querés cambiar tu configuración o desubscribirte, por favor visitá:
?code=24fc1a317822cea1112def96140866f5&addr=sourcing-of-industrial-products%40googlegroups.com&

How I'm Making It: Designer Misha Nonoo

Misha Nonoo in her showroom with her dog, Margaret Thatcher.

Misha Nonoo's background can easily be described as multicultural: her first few years were spent in Bahrain before moving to London, and then a few years of studying in Paris before settling in New York. It's not hard to see the varying influences in her designs. Tailoring and fabrics often suggest Europe, while color palettes and prints can have Middle Eastern or South American influences. The signature throughout is a deep rooted love of elegance (she cites Grace Kelly as an ultimate icon). Her collections manage to take that elegant aesthetic and make it playful and modern, which is probably why she has fans in fashionable sophisticates like Pippa Middleton and Gwyneth Paltrow.

I chatted with the lovely Nonoo in her Soho showroom surrounded by racks of her Havana-inspired Spring '13 collection. Her loyal pup Margaret Thatcher received plenty of belly rubs as we discussed everything from Instagram (she prefers it over Twitter), her wedding last May (in Venice and 'very relaxed') and how a young designer like herself (she is 25!) builds a business from the ground up.

When did you know you wanted to be a designer?
Misha Nonoo: I knew form a young age that I wanted to have my own fashion label. I always knew I wasn't so verbally expressive, but expressed myself through how I dressed and now through how I dress other people.

How did you dress when you were young?
Sort of the same aesthetic as now–very feminine, fitted and tailored. I was never a grungy girl. British Vogue used to do supplemental magazines with a round0up of all the trends. I grew up in the '90s and used to be obsessed with these trend supplements, like cowgirl chic or Russian princess. That always really drew me in. Because of the Internet trends have changed so much. They can be born and die in a matter of months. As a result, trends don't really exist anymore. I think the past decade hasn't had a prevailing look for that reason.

So how did you go about laying the groundwork for your business?
I went to business school right away because I had a firm understanding of my aesthetic and what I wanted to achieve, but I didn't know the nuts and bolts of running a business. I wanted to learn all the nitty-gritty. I feel fortunate that I have known from a young age, because it is hard if you don't know. When I finished school I got an apprenticeship in New York working with a small label focusing on tailoring and pattern making. I had the business background but needed the practical information about design.

So when did you break out on your own and start your label, Nonoo?
I decided I wanted to make women's jackets and coats because I saw a gap in the market for high quality European fabrications at accessible price points. The accessibility was really important to me. I wanted girls like you and me to be able to buy it as a splurge, but knowing that it's worth it because of the quality. It was called Nonoo Lines. After a few seasons buyers wanted to see more than just jackets, so I knew I needed to expand. So then I split form my business partner and started Nonoo, which is in its fourth season.

How has it been received?

See the original post here:
How I'm Making It: Designer Misha Nonoo

No comments:

Post a Comment